Or are they?
For years many have said (myself included) that building a blog is cheap and will perform better than your current real estate website. This is true and it is also un-true.
It is true that building a real estate blog is cheap IF you have the technical ability or at least the ability, desire and time to learn how to do it yourself by reading and asking questions. If you google “how to setup a real estate blog” or “how to setup wordpress” you will find a world of information that can lead you in the right direction. There is also a wealth of information at Real Estate BarCamps around the nation.
If you have no technical understanding of websites/hosting/DNS/FTP you WILL and you don’t have the time to spend learning how to build a blog then getting a blog will end up being as expensive any Real Estate website. And you will still need to learn how to log into your blog and start writing content, or your could pay for content to be written for you.
So, how much should you spend on your first real estate blog if you are going to PAY to have it done.
In my opinion there are 4 levels of pricing for a self hosted quality looking real estate blog.
Level 1 – Cheapest
- Purchase a hosting account
- Blue Host and Host Monster are my favs at this time
- Setup/Install WordPress
- Puchase a Theme
- Studio Press Themes and Woo Themes are my favs at this time
- Activate Theme
- Start Blogging
Your upfront cost above would be approx $100 for 1 year of hosting and $100 for a quality real estate blog theme plus $10 dollar per year for a domain name.
Total Damage: Approx $200
Level 2 – Assisted Install and Setup.
- All of the above included in level one
- Plus a couple of hours of consulting/mentoring/tutoring/training
Hosting/Theme/Domain = Approx $200
Consulting Cost per hour = Varies around the nation. I charge $100 per hour. My average training/tutoring/consulting session for setting up a real estate blog – 3 hours.
Level 3 – Complete blog setup with minor to semi-major customization
- Level 1 is included
- At this level usually you are not being shown/tutored/trained on how to do this yourself
- These type of blogs will be setup for you from installing wordpress to setting up plugins
- Setting up Feedburner or other Email management program
- Setting up Google Analytics
- Setting up IDX (Real Estate Home Search)
- Most of what you need to get started
- Some will still give you one on one training at this level but usually it is email or video training based
Average cost = $750 – $2000
Level 4 – Complete custom blog
- Everything you need and think you need
- If you haven’t thought about it your designer/programmer/ whom ever you hired has though of it
Average Starting Cost = $5000 and it goes up from there.
The above costs are my opinion and based on vendors in the industry. I am not intending to insult anyone and their costs because at all of these levels the prices are completely justified.
Now I know you are asking where should you start and what level should you choose?
That answer will be in the next article