Lennovo Laptop Won’t Power On Try This

len_laptop.jpgMy wife who is an IT manager for an online gaming company here in the Bay Area ordered three laptops from Lenovo the other day. When they arrived she took the first one out of the box plugged it in and it powered up no problem. The next two would not power on no matter how she swapped the batteries or power-brick, nothing would work. So she called her sales rep to setup an RMA (return to manufacturer authorization) and he said prior to doing that she needed to call Lenovo tech support. While she was not happy about having to call for obviously defective laptops she gave it a shot.

When the tech support rep answered the phone he asked my wife what the issue was and what troubleshooting she had taken. My wife explained the process she had followed and he agreed with her assessment that the laptops were likely defective but asked that they try one more thing.

1. First unplug the AC adapter.
  2. Next remove the battery.
  3. Then press the power button 11 times, and hold it for 30 seconds on the 11th time
  4. Finally plug the AC back in.

Wonder of wonders this worked to resolve her issue and according to the rep it was a power reset and one of the more common reasons people call for Lenovo support which is odd given that it is not documented on their site. So if you have a Lenovo laptop and you have tried everything else and it still will not power give the power reset a try. If after trying the steps above it still does not work then give Your Local Tech a call I am sure they can help you out.

– Mark Flavin

Comments

1. says

LOL…great disturbing story… you know when a new computer won’t start of course pressing the button 11 times is the first thing I would think to do.

2. JB says

This is what I’ve been looking for! I have a customer that got support through me, and they have 40 laptops that won’t power up. There is a ‘Critical Situation’ filed with Lenovo support to figure this out. If they documented this on their site it would cause everyone so much less grief. The only reason I knew about it is because a buddy of mine went through the same thing and finally got support to tell him the secret. I have been searching for evidence online for a few hours to corroborate my hearsay…
    THANKS!!!!

3. shrikat sharma says

As I power on my laptop just after 5-6 minuts it got turned off.
    please give me the suggession regarding this problem.

4. Shannon says

Thank you so much for posting this! You just saved me quite a hassle…my Lenovo is owned by the public school I work at, and I’m sure IT would have taken weeks to get my notebook back to me!

5. JamesonF says

Wow, this is seriously the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. But it freaking worked! Rock ON!

6. Bryan says

Thanks so much for posting this. I thought I had a dead laptop on my hands and this got it working again. You the man.

7. says

I was just given an older Lenovo laptop and, after connecting to the internet, it didn’t want to turn off. After it did, it didn’t want to come back on. I found this post and tried the solution. IT WORKED!.

Thank you for posting this. What an odd solution. What’s just as odd is somebody had to figure this out.

8. Laurie says

Thank you so much for posting this tip. I am an online teacher – shut my laptop down last night – business as usual. Just went to turn it on and it wouldn’t power on – I was just about to melt down because I hadn’t backed up lately, which of course I preach constantly – found your tip and it worked! Thanks again!!

9. Hammrsgl says

Thankyou soooo much dropped coffee on my lenovo dismantled it all worked fine had to remember that wireless switch at the front but wouldn’t wake up after I shut the lid this solution saved my bacon your blood is worth bottling

10. Paul Grass says

I cannot believe that worked. I was getting desperate and tried it… And viola. Thank you.

11. Nick says

You are my new hero! Worked on Lenovo IdeaCentre that just suddenly went dead and would not power back on. Thanks for saving me the dreaded call to tech support. :)

12. Lynn says

Thank you so very much! My computer is one month old and I couldn’t start it this morning. Found this page. It works! Thank you!

13. expert user in Omaha, NE says

You method worked on an old IBM T20. Battery holds no charge. Cmos battery certainly (almost?) dead as well. Thank you so much for posting this.

14. Kim Aldous says

Mark THANKS! this really works i thought my laptop was broken because I’ve been using it for almost 2 years. This saved me a lot of time & money :)

15. QiQi says

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST! I was on the verge of tears last night because my laptop shut off and all my school work is on it. My boyfriend told me to back it up (which I didn’t). I ran out of ideas until I came across this one! It worked perfectly. I was so nervous, I forgot to even hold down the button for 30 seconds on the last one. But, it still came on. You just saved my grad school career!!

16. Jenn says

Thank You!!!! I can’t believe this worked! I even got mixed up and thought I had to hold down the power button for 11 seconds instead of 30, but it still worked. My machine is a T61p. :)

17. Sam says

I’m looking into this issue from work for my wife who called me in panic because her laptop won’t power on! Now, I’ll look like a magician to her when I get back home and I may receive special treats tonight thanks to you. Hopefully this will work! Rock on (o:

18. AG says

Thinkpad e420 wouldn’t turn on today and unfortunately this fix didn’t work :( any tips? maybe I’m doing it wrong…
    Have to call Lenovo tech

19. Shiv says

Yes, it worked like magic, i guess it discharges the remaining power left on the processor and when its plug back again, it starts working again. Thanks for Sharing this .. It works !!!

20. avi says

Unbelievable! This totally worked. I was about to smash my computer against the wall. Thanks!!!!

21. Tomas says

Hi,

Your advice looked suspicious to me. As my Lenovo w500 seemed to be dead, i did last try. Unbeliveable, but your method works. Thanks a lot! Tomas